Rich and Creamy Chocolate Tart (Gluten-Free/Vegan)
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, I have been thinking about what special treat to make for my family. My girls are big chocolate fans but my husband isn’t. This is unfortunate for him as he will be outnumbered this Valentine’s Day and I am doing the baking!
This decadent Rich and Creamy Chocolate Tart is one of our favourite special occasion treats. It is not complicated or particularly fancy but I often prepare it when we have guests or if we are celebrating something.
It covers all the necessary dietary requirements, if there are any… gluten-free, vegan, no white sugar and no white flour. Don’t be dismayed by these parameters though, it really is smooth and creamy, totally decadent. My daughter sometimes make a raspberry coulis to drizzle on top. So yummy!
As far as crusts go, you can substitute whatever is easier for you or what your family likes. Here is the crust I make with this tart:
¾ cup toasted hazelnuts
coconut oil for greasing tart pan
¼ cup rolled oats
¼ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp coconut oil
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp brown rice or spelt flour
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
To make the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease tart pan and set aside.
2. Portion coconut oil, melt and then allow to come to room temperature.
3. Combine hazelnuts, oats, salt and flour in a food processor and blend until coarsely ground.
4. Add coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix until flour is moistened.
5. Press the crust into the tart pan, thinking it out all around and prick with a fork several times.
6. Bake 15 minutes or until the crust starts to turn light brown.
7. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
½ – 2/3 cup raspberry jam
1 cup plain non-dairy beverage
300 g dark chocolate, about 1 full cup, chopped
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp espresso powder
To make the filling:
1. Spread the jam over the cooled crust.
2. Place non-dairy beverage in a pot and bring to almost a boil.
3. Add chopped chocolate and cover the pot for 10 minutes.
4. Uncover pot and mix until chocolate is smooth. Add vanilla and espresso powder.
5. Pour over the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.
There you go! Super simple and sure to please. Let me know how your gang likes it.
For on-going tips, tricks and recipes to support your vegetarian family, sign up for my newsletter at www.nutrilicious.ca.